Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Alpha's Adventures in Geordie Land

Am I the slowest to do this yet? I can hardly believe Alphamonkey arrived here in Newcastle almost 2 months ago, in early December last year.

This meant I got to see Alphamonkey's first Christmas.


Santa had a try at knitting but decided that having no fingers made it too difficult and so he left the knitting up to me.


Rudolph really enjoyed helping and holding the yarn for Santa.



I knitted my part in some Piece of Beauty Sock yarn in Vintage Floral.

Between Christmas and New year I took Alphamonkey into Newcastle to see some of sights. Including Grey Street, Grey's Monument, The Sage and the Tyne Bridge. No photos of this as the photos I took were deleted- at least you can have some postcards from Alphamonkey courtesy of wikipedia.

I also took Alphamonkey for a 'run down the coast'. I'm not sure if this is a Geordie expression or just one that my family uses. It has nothing to do with running and pretty much means driving to the the seaside and having a walk about.

We stopped off at a funny wall with holes in it.


If you look very closely through the 'window' in the wall you can just about make out St. Mary's Lighthouse.


Here is Alphamonkey with in front of a slightly out of focus lighthouse.


And here is the lighthouse sans Monkey. The tide was out but we didn't walk over to the island. It was freezing cold and without gloves I thought my fingers might have dropped off.


Alphamonkey also went to go to the pub with me one evening for a meeting of the Miss Spiritual Tramp's Knitting Circle.


Here he is hanging out with some of the lovely Newcastle knitters.


And having another look at the Tyne Bridge through the pub window.

I think Alphamonkey enjoyed his rather extended stay in Newcastle. He is now on his way back across the Atlantic to the next knitter.

21 comments:

Amy said...

YEEAAAHH! Such great pictures. It looks like Aphamonkey is almost done! And let me just say that you are just cute as a button! I still can't wait until it's my turn!

Holly in CT said...

You certainly showed Alphamonkey a great time! We Yanks will have to try really hard to equal Alphamonkey's travels (but we'll try hard)!

Holly in CT said...

Yea the sock is on the move! I hope we Yanks can show the sock as great a time as you did!

Melanie said...

Welcome back Alphamonkey! So nice to hear from you!!!

Lisa C..Knitter Navy Wife said...

Wonderful pics, glad to see Alphamonkey is having such a great time!

Stariel said...

Glad to see that Alphamonkey had so much fun over on the other side of the pond.

The yarn you used is gorgeous!

Esoteric Knitter said...

yay! How fun! Thanks for the photos. :)

Heidi said...

Yay! Go Alphamonkey! I'm sure he had a bunch of fun with you!

And knitters, the CONTEST is on!

Cynthia said...

what a great post! And alphamonkey's starting to become quite the sock!

Sharon said...

What a wonderful holiday for AlphaMonkey! It's so nice to see how all the different yarns used are coming together so nicely!

Sandykins57 said...

Wooohooo! We are moving again! Yay!

And now that TISA is moving again, too, I need to plan where I am taking him/her. You see, after the next knitter, it's my turn! Yay!!!

mummymakesphotos said...

Wow, Alphamonkey is looking good, so colourful! Fab photos!

Rebecca said...

It was well worth the wait, the pictures are so fun! And Alphamonkey is just turning out lovely.

Katie said...

yay for Alpha Monkey! I love seeing its progress!

Karen said...

Your knit group looks like a fun bunch, and AlphaMonkey is growing by leaps and bounds (sort of like a puppy, isn't it?). I am glad AlphaMonkey got out to see some sites. I hope you taught it some Christmas carols. But no beer at the pub - AlphaMonkey is much too young!

fibersnob said...

Good to see the sock turn up again! Looks like the monkey is up to some monkeying around, looks like fun.

Holly in CT said...

Great to see that the sock is on the move again. I only hope we Yanks can show Alphamonkey as good a time as it was shown abroad!

Evelyn said...

I'm glad that Alphamonkey is having such a great time traveling around enjoying life.

Darbyrose said...

Love the pictures, especially the reindeer doing his bit to help out. I am so glad you included a picture of yourself, too. It's wonderful to put faces to names.

Criosa said...

looks like Alphamonkey had a fun time!

btw, I love your santa & rudolf!

Holly said...

Alright - Now we need to keep this going and have Alphamonkey wave when he arrives.

Anyone seen TISA? I miss her!